Monday, October 17, 2011

" Daring to Do Our Best Work Together . . . "

At BGI, we are most fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from each other, our faculty, and the most charismatic, inspirational, and informing people who are on the cutting edge of this widespread movement that we call "sustainability."  And these folks are our "CAIRS," Change Agents in Residence. 

The title of my blog is borrowed from one of our CAIRS, Frederick A. Miller, a co-author of "Be BIG:  Step Up. Step Out.  Be BOLD," ISBN 978-1-57675-452-8.  

For me, one of the most difficult things is pretending to go along with something in the hopes that someone will "like me."  In this mode, I may hold back and not bring my fullest self to the conversation at hand.

I have come to understand that this is a passive aggressive approach to life, and that it does not serve me well. 

How can I learn, develop, grow and contribute my unique ideas and innovations, if I "hold back" and do not bring my "full self" to work and other people interactions. 

This is not be confused with egoism, fame-seeking, showing off, and calling attention your self.  It is about you, respecting you, and adding your special voice and value to the conversation.  Because the gem inside of you is needed in your everyday interactions whether it's on the job, your familial relationships, with your friends and perfect strangers. 

As you develop your personal brand, I encourage you to place yourself in whatever reflective space best allows you to express yourself with vigor, to stand to your full height, and just give over to the words and phrases that in your unconscious soul, you know represent who you are. 

And then, use them as your "tale".  Be BIG.  Step Up.  Step Out.  Be BOLD.  Thank you, Frederick! 

No comments:

Post a Comment